Saturday, September 6, 2014

Raz-Kids

I took some fun pictures of our math lesson on Thursday, but I forgot my camera at school.  :(
So for now, I want to tell you about Raz-kids.  Raz-kids is an awesome, internet based, reading program that our school is lucky to have.  Students are placed in their reading level, and then they have a plethora of books to choose from.  Once they decide on a book, they hear the book read to them to help build fluency, then they read the book on their own, and then they take a quiz to check comprehension.  Students can log-into Raz-Kids at home and use this for their reading log!


The first time your child goes to Raz-kids at home, you will need to enter my teacher user name.  It is laue1.  Then the student will click on their name.

Once they click on their name, they should choose my assignment to begin reading.  


As students listen to stories, read books, and take quizzes, they earn stars to build their robot and and to decorate their rocket.  

You can check and see what books your child has read by looking at their book screen.  The check marks have indicated that the child has completed that activity for that book.  If a student does not pass a quiz, they do not receive a check mark.  They should reread the book and then take the quiz again. 


Once a child completes all the tasks on their current level it will move them up to the next level.  I will also manually move them if I feel that they are ready for the next level before completing the current level they are on.  Right now, most kids should be at their current reading level.  Please know that there are a few kids that I have not been able to work one on one with yet, so their level may be too easy.  By the end of next week if you feel their level is still to easy, please give me a call and we will chat.  Sometimes kids are able to read the books but are not moved up for other reasons.

Do not worry if you do not have a home computer.  Raz-kids is tablet friendly.  Just search for Raz-Kids in the Google Play Store or I-Tunes and download the app for free!  While I have never tried it, I hear it is available on most smart phones as well. 

Parents can also sign up to receive progress updates from their child.  Once we get into a good routine with Raz-kids, students will be working in it at least twice a week during Power Hour.  The cool thing about Raz-Kids is that the teachers are also able to print the same books that are in this program.  The kids get so excited when they find their Raz-kid book in their book bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment