Monday, September 8, 2014

Number Bond Fun!






We have been working hard to figure out number bonds in class.  While this is a concept they were introduced to in Kindergarten, they are really struggling to grasp the concept of the number bond.  I decided to try showing them using something other than numbers so I used water and food coloring.  For some it was just the visual they needed!

We seemed to catch on at the end of last week, but today they struggled with the concept again.  So after doing math this morning, I decided to give them a game to help build to concept a little better.  The kids, with a partner, got 8 double sided disks.  They shook the disks and then dropped them onto the ground.  They had to decide which number bond the combination of colors matched.  While they were technically learning about number bonds it was absolutely awesome to hear them talk about probability as well.  They were surprised that almost every student had the combination of 5 & 3 the most!




Here are a few websites that are number bond games for your child to practice at home!

Math Playground

Number Bond Game

I encourage you to explore some of the other games on those sites as well!

To clear up some confusion, as I have had several parents ask, homework and any notes for me should come to school in the Pecatonica Take Home Folder.  When I said it should be returned empty, I just meant that the papers from the current day should be removed (graded papers, notes from me, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment